Welcome to Forest City Area Emergency Services
Forest City Fire Department History
The Forest City Fire Department was organized in 1888 as the Citizens Fire Company, when a disagreement between factions of old and young members of an existing town fire company threatened to leave the town without fire protection. In 1894, the Citizens Fire Company was incorporated as the Enterprise Hose Company. Also in existence during this period was the Hillside Hose Company , which was sponsored by the Hillside Coal Company. In 1917, the Hillside Hose Company received a corporation charter and ceased to be sponsored by the coal company. The Enterprise Hose Company was housed in a section of the Forest City Borough building in the center of town, and the Hillside Hose Company had their own building two blocks south of the Borough building, which had been a gift from the coal company. Both fire companies co-existed in Forest City until economic conditions and a dwindling population brought about a successful merger of resources. The Enterprise Hose Company vacated their quarters in the Borough building and moved into the Hillside Hose Company building. On December 17, 1964, they officially became the Forest City Fire Company.
More history to follow.